Another Cross Stitch Finish

So most of the cross stitch that I have done has been designs by Alicia Paulson of Posie Gets Cosy. I've enjoyed doing her kits in the past and I continue to get them. But after discovering FlossTube videos and being introduced to the larger world of cross stitch, I've discovered other things that I like. The first discovery was that I like Halloween designs. Especially those by Prairie Schooler. My first order of cross stitch patterns from 123 Stitch HAD to include Nevermore by Prairie Schooler. I came across the pattern when searching for Ouija board cross stitch patterns on Google Images. It was a MUST stitch.

I also sought out a local needlework shop for the materials instead of ordering them online. Edmonton has a needlework shop called the Craft Connection at 12413 115 Ave NW. One day I decided to go check out what they had and bought the floss and fabric for a couple of projects. As soon as I finished up the Moth, I decided to start up this piece.

Finished Nevermore

Pattern: Nevermore by Prairie Schooler
Materials: 32 count linen by Zweigart in Lambswool
DMC Floss
Started: May 8, 2018
Finished: June 20, 2018

Now I know it should probably have more fabric around the design, but when I was looking at fabric pieces, I didn't calculate in extra fabric and then look for that size of piece. I looked at the finished size of the design and then found a piece of fabric that it would fit on with some leftover. Not the end of the world but now I know what to do for next time.

I really enjoyed stitching this piece. I started in the middle and worked my way out, finishing each area before moving on which was quite enjoyable and satisfying. I left the backstitching for last and I ended up eliminating some of the backstitching around the tombstones as I felt it didn't really add much overall.

Signature over 1!

To try something different, I tried doing my signature one over one. Sometimes I like to try things that are supposed to be hard just to see how things go. And I really like how this turned out. I really enjoy the look of a cross stitched signature as opposed to a back stitched one, but sometimes it can be quite big and take too much attention. I like how small the one over one looks without being too dainty. It wasn't that much of a pain to stitch and it's quite pleasing so I may continue to do future signatures one over one. Who knows?

My next piece is the Midsummer Sprigs ABCs Sampler by Alicia Paulson which is stitched on black fabric. Since doing the one over one I thought I may as well do another "scary" thing and stitch on black. It does help to have really good light, but it's been quite enjoyable so far. I did splurge and get all the over dyed flosses for this project. It uses Weeks Dye Works which are super nice to work with. They are cotton, but seem much silkier than the DMC of my previous pieces.

Comments

Popular Posts