Back onto Socks

I finished some more socks.

Scrappy Toes

I had a desire to use up every last bit of my favourite sock yarn. I still had some bits leftover after knitting two other pairs of socks. I figured there would be enough for another pair. Use one for the main part of the sock and the other for contrasting toes, heels and cuffs. I decided to work two at a time & toe-up as I wasn't sure how much yarn was left. I had planned to work a toe-up heel flap (from the Sockmatician's pattern), but I was quite low on the green when I got to the gusset increases so I changed to an Afterthought heel instead to really maximize what I could get out of the green.

Afterthought Heels

Turns out there was plenty of the blue-purple colour, so I made up for the skimpy legs with more generous cuffs. I had enough of the blue yarn to do even more, but I'm happy with the 30 rows that I worked. Finished from Scraps

Pattern: Toe-up Afterthought Heel Socks
Materials: Regia Extra Twist Merino Color in 9327 & 9328
Start Date: August 9, 2018
End Date: August 14, 2018

I didn't really follow a pattern for the Afterthought heels. Having knit quite a few pairs with afterthought heels, it's pretty straightforward to pop in some waste yarn and pick it up later. If you are looking for a pattern, I have used Laura Linneman's Afterthought Heel Socks and it works quite well.

Yes, it's a cuff down pattern, but working the heel is the same no matter the direction the socks are knit. Working toe-up makes it a litter easier to figure out where to place the heel as you don't have to budget extra space for the toe. So it's closer to the length you'd knit for the foot after having worked a heel (if you were knitting cuff-down). I hope that makes sense. I should maybe make some diagrams if I'm going to explain this in future.

Anyways, after a bit of a hiatus I'm back to knitting socks. After finishing a pair for my Dad and this pair, I have cast on two more pairs. I have started an online MLIS program through San José State University and have knit through a couple of initial introductory video conferencing sessions where I didn't really need to take notes. I bet I make many more socks in the next few years.

Comments

Popular Posts