Summer of Socks

I've been taking a bit of a break from knitting this summer, but what I have been knitting is socks. Lots of socks. I have finished 3 pairs and am almost done number 4.

First up are the Golden ticket socks. These have been a bit of an epic pair of socks. Begun in February as magic loop, ripped out and finally finished up in June. I really only worked on the socks here and there hence the four months of knitting. This was my first time knitting a Cookie A pattern and I very much enjoyed knitting them. A great pattern with an easy to memorise chart. My only modification to the pattern was continuing the 1x1 twisted rib on the gussets of the socks. If I were going to knit these again I would change the toe shaping. I really find that it ends way too pointy. But I love the pattern made by the travelling twisted rib pattern. It reminds me of whale tails.

Pattern: Marlene by Cookie A. from Knit.1 Fall/Winter 2008
Materials: Knit it Up! Silky, 'Canary in a Coal mine'
Modifications: Twisted ribbing on the gussets.
Start Date: February 7, 2009
End Date: June 15, 2009

This is the second instalment of the 2009 Rockin' Sock Club Notorious Knitter's Tour and another pair of epic socks. Initially I wasn't too sure about the colours and their combination but it's really grown on me as I've worked on them. I have to say that I really am enjoying this sock club and find that I have the hardest time waiting to get started on each instalment. I'm making myself be good and finish one pair of socks before starting the next. Again a very enjoyable pattern. I'm always a fan of the picot hem. I really love how the little roses usually pick out just one of the colours at a time.

Pattern: Rogue Roses
Materials: 'Gertrude Skein' Socks That Rock mediumweight, Rockin' Sock Club for March
Start Date: March 29, 2009
End Date: June 24, 2009

The lastest finished pair are my Purple Fraggle Socks, another pair of Rockin' Sock Club socks. I have to say that the Socks that Rock lightweight has become a favourite sock yarn. I love love love the super twist of the Socks that Rock and the extra bounce it gives to the resulting fabric. The lightweight just feels right. It's right when I'm knitting and right when I'm wearing the socks. I heart Socks that Rock lightweight. Indeed it does rock.

I also really enjoyed the pattern for these socks. With a well planned transition from ribbing to pattern, easy to memorise but enjoyably complex pattern that really shows off the colour transitions really well. I really love in particular how the little bubble pattern is continued down the heel of the sock.

Pattern: Fraggle Squiggle Socks
Materials: 'Pepe La Plume' Socks That Rock lightweight, Rockin' Sock Club for June
Start Date: June 24, 2009
End Date: August 20, 2009

So with 3 new pairs of socks I'm well on my way to a complete winter wardrobe of handknit socks.

Comments

jonniegottasing said…
Nice socks. Great to see you're moving through projects. Can't wait to see you next week and catch up on a summer's worth of news.
Jon

Popular Posts