Marvelous Mattress Stitch

Last week I learned how to Mattress Stitch and now I'm in love with seaming. Other than my very first knit sweater (Ravelry link) I haven't really knit (or completed) any projects that needed seaming. Until now.

I've been working on a Girl Friday and am nearing completion. After finishing the first sleeve I decided I should start putting the sweater together. A quick internet search for mattress stitch, a quick glance at the instructions and I was off seaming up the sweater back and one of the fronts. I was so stoked by the resulting seam that I stayed up late just to finish my perfect seam.

There's something about seaming with Mattress Stitch that is just SO satisfying. Looping through all those rows of knitting and then pulling tight to line them all up perfectly. And inside the result are these nice little selvedge stitch ridges compactly lined up. Maybe it's that seaming appeals to the perfectionist in me.

Later while working on the second side seam I read ahead in the sweater pattern and realised that the side seams are the last thing that gets done so I stopped it half done. Here's the sweater as of Sunday morning:

I have since finished the second sleeve and am now halfway through the neck & buttonband.

I was so stoked about seaming that I pulled out my good old Cabled Eyelet Ribbed Cardigan which hasn't seen active service since August '08. After finishing the body and one sleeve, blocking the pieces it looked like the sleeve was too long. I planned to seam the shoulders and put in the sleeve to make sure but never got around to it. But with all the seaming fever I picked it up and got right to it. I seamed the shoulders, tried it on and put the sleeve on my arm. It was way too long. After consulting my notes, I measured where the underarm was actually supposed to be and ripped back to that point. Here's where the sweater's at now:

Not much more to go. So after Girl Friday's done, I'm going to continue on and finish this cardigan too. It's going to be like 2 cardigans for the price of one. I'm super excited. Especially with all the seaming ahead of me. Yay seams!

Comments

Anonymous said…
So exciting when sweaters are so close to being done. Can't wait to see them finished!

Popular Posts