Mom's Xmas Yellow Shawl

Folded Shawl Here's one last Christmas present that I knit. For the record, there was a high likelihood that this would have actually been finished in time to be wrapped for giving on Christmas day. It seemed a bit on the smallish side, so I wanted to check before finishing it off. Shawl on the railing Turns out I was right. My mom requested it be "much much longer" so I continued knitting until I ran out of yarn. That's an extra 10 pattern repeats on both sides. That's like 80% MORE shawl in this shawl! Yellow shawl Then I had a blocking conundrum. I usually do. Though I now live in a bigger place, I also have a roommate. We use our couches regularly and have no spare beds. I was going ready to block this sucker at my brother's place when I realised that this shawl would probably do with a slight steam blocking. Because of the 40% cotton content, it was pretty relaxed already. More shawl detail! So then some steam. BOUM. Blocked. BOUM. Took some pictures. BOUM. Mailed it off. BOUM. Central panel Pattern: North Sea Shawl by Cheryl Oberle from Folk Shawls Materials: Manos del Uruguay Serena in 2044 (baby yellow) Start Date: November 6, 2011 End Date: January 22, 2012 A week later I received this last picture taken by my dad to my cell phone while on the phone with my mom where she was telling me she thought the shawl was now TOO long. Um. What? I convinced her to wear it once and then decide. Turns out she's fine with the length (even if it's longer than she anticipated). What? Where's the flash? It could have been nice to have some additional repeats in the central pattern now that I think about it, but it's still nice as it is.

Comments

Popular Posts