Secret Pal 11 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I enjoy working with wool and odd fibres (ginestra, hemp, bamboo, soy, whathaveyou). I'm generally not a fan of chunky yarns, acrylic or silly novelty yarns (such as eyelash or Baby Monkey). I'm getting into a neutral tweedy space these days but always have space for luscious yarns that demand to be touched. Although I don't like things that induce sneezing such as angora or mohair.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a roll-your-own needle case for my straights and use the original packaging for circulars and double points.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting since I was six years old. I learnt from my grandmother initially and later from books after I lost interest and forgot how. I'd say I'm an advanced knitter. Stranded colorwork, entrelac, lace knitting, all covered.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
yes i surely do.

5. What's your favorite scent?
I love lavender but am not really a smelly candle/incense/soap kind of gal.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes I do. Candy more than chocolate (but I'll take chocolate too). My favourite is lemon flavoured anything.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I sew (but need to buy a machine), knit, paint (oil), crochet and embroider. I've been in a knitting spot lately. I haven't tried spinning yet but have lusted after some yummy looking roving from time to time.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I'm an indie rocker with an ear for Britpop, great Jazz and classic rock (no Aerosmith but yes to the Velvet Underground, Simon and Garfunkel, etc. Yes I can handle MP3s and do quite enjoy newly suggested music. For more detail on my listening habits.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I've been quite enjoying greens of late. Not extreme hatred of any colours but have a tendency towards interesting combinations of subtle colours rather than really bold bright colours.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
It's just me and a potted plant. My dog lives with my parents in Alberta.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
yes to all but the poncho. Not a poncho fan.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Um, things that require knitting? Really I love knitting pretty much anything. And I have been known to start a project just to try a new technique or yarn and find someone who would enjoy the finished product.

13. What are you knitting right now?
I'm working on a pair of socks (toe up), a Fair Isle vest, a cardigan, a knitted shark, a second mitten at the moment with some other things waiting in the wings.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes I sure do. But am more of a fan of useful things rather than just pretty. Limited space and general aversion to dusting keeps my apartment fairly sparsely decorated.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Straights, but have been bitten by the lace knitting/Fair Isle bug that requires the use of circulars. I am hardcore wood/bamboo though. One of the things that kept me from loving knitting when I first started was the awful feeling/noise combination of the metal needles squeaking against each other. Combine that with the squeak of acrylic and I get the shivers. alkjdflkjasd.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I'm baby sitting my brother's swift and yarn winder at the moment.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
ooooo, an entrelac baby blanket that hasn't had the border sewn on yet. All things were finished knitting shortly after I started as an Xmas 2001 project (I think). It had no baby as recipient, I just wanted to try entrelac.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Anything that causes my brother to make a feast of food. He loves to cook and I love to do the dishes.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Not really, but pretty yarns with great texture are fun.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I subscribe to Interweave Knits but every once in a while buy Knit.1, Rebecca, Vogue Knitting and the odd Interweave Crochet. Books are in the Amazon Wishlist somewhere in the maze of music and other books. Needles I have pretty much been buying as needed, I could probably use circulars (I prefer Clover Bamboo). I wouldn't mind some nice self striping sock yarn for a pair of Jaywalkers. Everyone else has knit a pair and I'm feeling left out.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Yes, but none come to mind at the moment.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes I knit socks, but I wouldn't call myself a sock knitter per se. I'm a US size 6.5 or a 37.

23. When is your birthday?
February 16th. Sucks when you live in the land of ice and snow. Never had an outdoor party as a kid. And Valentines is right there so I developed a taste for Cinnamon Hearts out of survival.

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
janemumbles (I like to be consistent).

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just to let you know, Pal is spelled with one L not two. I don't know if you noticed.

Just SP11 blog surfing :)

You don't have to publish my comment - i see moderation is on. Just wanted to let you know about the type-o - english major here :) hihihi

Popular Posts