I'm a real spinner now!


I am super proud of this yarn that I made. I officially feel like a real and official, grown up spinner now. I spun this one weekend in October. I spent the better part of a Saturday dividing up the roving and drafting it. I finished spinning one half that same evening, plied it Sunday morning and continued on with the second half, drafting, spinning and plying. It was so great to just draft draft spin spin spin that I didn't even take pictures of the process at all (sorry, it would have been good too).

I was being rather methodical and Mr. Peabody-like when I started on this braid. I can never manage to get one skein onto my spindle as a single, so nevermind about it once it's plied my friends. So this time I decided to split the roving in half to begin with. The plan of attack was to spin each half as a separate skein and let the colours fall as they may.

Now each half was still a bit long to easily manage to split, draft and spin, so I split the halves into half (so I would be working in quarter lengths of the total roving length). Each of these quarters had it's own little mix of colours. So once I had split them into slivers, drafted and they were ready (I think 8 per quarter), I alternated the next colour I would spin. I had two 'lines' of little lovely drafted crack piles of each quarter 'colourway' (again a picture might be nice here).


'Dora' Spunky Eclectic
4 oz. 2-ply handspun
100% Blue Faced Leicester

At the end of it all I had two quite distinct colourway skeins that complimented each other very nicely and are likely quite similar in weight/yardage and such. I was quite surprised that being SO methodical about the spinning didn't take away ANY of the fun at all. In fact it was super fun to be more 'scientific' about my spinning. I think I'll be all crazy and methodical like that again for my next big spinning weekend. And this time I promise to take more pics....well I'll try to at least ;)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the colors in that first picture.

Sometimes I still don't feel like a real spinner.

Popular Posts