Green stripey dodecahedron ball

Sparked by my recent rediscovery of how awesome origami is and making awesome bunny toys, I couldn't resist casting on to make my very own dodecahedron star ball.

Before I knew it I was ready to stuff the star and add the last point.

My only modification to this pattern was to start with a crocheted provisional cast on instead of the usual long tail. This isn't a huge change, but since stitches are picked off each previous point when starting the next one, it just makes sense. Why not use a provisional cast on? There were some resulting holes at the edge of the picked up stitches but the yarn ends from the cast on were nearby and put to service when they were worked in.

Pattern: Celestine
by Norah Gaughan
Materials: Opal Rainforest 6-ply
Start Date: February 21, 2010
End Date: February 26, 2010

I found knitting the last point was the least fun. Once the bulk of the star had been stuffed and the stitches were picked, it became quite difficult to manoeuvre and knit. I'm quite sure that the knitting became distorted as I was working on the point. Especially when I was knitting around the stuffin. When making this again, I'm going to do the crazy, more work thing, knit the last point separately and graft it to the rest of the stuffed star, stuffing the point as I finish the seam of the last side. Maybe it's a bit overkill, but I swear the last point is a bigger than the rest.

I see more of these knitted shapes in my future. The next one will likely be out of my rainbow striping regia nation color. Hopefully it would work out that each point is one color. That would be awesome.

Comments

Ali P said…
I made a pair of socks with that yarn...LOVE!

Popular Posts