The Elephant wearing a dress in the room

In the spring (last time I had a haircut) my hairdresser announced she was pregnant and asked if I'd knit something for her bun-in-the-oven. She wanted to make sure that the baby would come home in nothing but handknit items. How could I refuse such a request?

Back in September I knit up this practically instant baby sweater out of some impossibly soft handspun and later (on the day of the baby shower) finally added the buttons.

Baby Sweater (with buttons)
Pattern: Baby Sweater on two needles by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Materials:
2-ply
'Collision Course' Pigeonroof Studios
100% Superwash Merino
4.2 oz.
Start Date: September 4, 2011
End Date: September 5, 2011
Buttons added: October 23, 2011

I also decided to throw in one of the toys I knit while tech-editing the new Fuzzy Mitten Savannah Chaps pattern. I decided to knit a dress from the Well Dressed Bunny Pattern for the elephant even though I wasn't sure of the baby's gender. I thought about knitting overalls, but thought the dress was cuter.

The blue balloons on the front of the house were a clear enough sign once we arrived at the shower. The theme of the shower turned out to be blue. Well the elephant in a dress got a big laugh when it was opened. Though it didn't end up being a big deal. Since this baby has two moms, it would be a crime that he didn't have an elephant in a dress.

Poignant Elephant (with a dress)
Pattern: Savannah Chaps by Fuzzy Mitten
Materials: Rowan Yorkshire Tweed - Limeleaf
Start Date: September 22, 2011
End Date: September 25, 2011

Someone had to balance out for all those trucks/cars/blue onesies. Even if it was by accident.

Comments

Popular Posts