4 September 2009

Eleven day socks

Late to the party and after the crosswalkers, I finally made a pair of Jaywalkers. I have had this yarn hanging around in my stash for a while waiting to become a great pair of socks and I think is well suited to the Jaywalker pattern. My mom got to pick the yarn for her own pair of socks while in Montreal.

Pattern: Jaywalkers by Grumperina
Materials: Austermann Step colour 11
Start Date: August 20, 2009
End Date: August 31, 2009

After the Fraggle Squiggle socks this was a mindless pattern once set up but enjoyably so. I was quite surprised with how quickly the socks progressed. I finished the first sock really quickly in a few days and took a bit longer with the second. These were the quickest socks I've knit all summer.

The only change I made to the pattern was making the gusset decreases right next to the pattern increases instead of having 1 stitch buffer. This change makes it so that the gusset decreases merge better into the existing pattern.

This was the first pair of socks where I went to the trouble to match up the stripes from one sock to the next. This made it easier to track the lengths as I was knitting. Instead of measuring to know where I was, I would read where I was in the stripes instead.

I did my best to make these mom sized socks, but trying them on to take pictures I realised they were a pretty good fit for me. I'm pretty sure I'll make another pair of Jaywalkers with my own toes in mind. Great pattern, great socks.

1 comment:

Ali P said...

Its really nice to hear from you again, lovey. I have missed your updates.